C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:53:02 +0100
Hello.

Recently joined the list, and I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself, rather than lurking.

My name is Stefan I'm a 35 year old freelance Web-Designer, I live in the UK with my wife Zoe.

We have a beautiful little 3 year old girl called Megan who has mild CP - the result of a right hemiplegia. She can't walk and her left side is mainly affected resulting in loss of fine motor skill with her left hand. She's undergoing PT and OT at our local hospital and is progressing well. Her vocabulary is progressing daily and she attends mainstream nursery. She recently had her first wheelchair and is progressing nicely (though causing havoc wherever she goes ;o))
Everything is going well, apart from her toilet/potty training. We've been told she'll 'get it' when she's ready. Some days she asks for the potty, other days she seems to forget. She seems more remiss when urinating rather than defecating, but we're being patient. Though its hard to get into a regime when she attends nursery - however one of the toilets is being specially modified at her school, and we hope to be able to implement the training at her nursery soon.

Her long term prognosis is very good, she's alert, bright and attentive. She may never walk (though she might walked with an aid) but we still have great hopes and aspirations (what parent wouldn't?). We've found that her medication 'Baclofen' - delivered orally is helping, though she might be a long-term candidate for Botox.

We have a series of home exercise programs (designed by the hospital) that take about 20 minutes each day - Currently I take on this responsibility as my wife is 8 months pregnant with our second child.

Er, that's about it.

Thanks for listening/reading, whatever :o)

Stef.