C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:33:49 -0500
Anee and Loree,

        The more I see, the less impressed I am with IQ tests. I am a licensed
psychologist and can administer and interpret almost any intelligence test
published. I have two big problems with IQ tests.

        1. Few, if any, are standardized on individuals with CP. Therefore, you
are comparing your scores with non-CP individuals. Many individuals with CP
can't manipulate things because of motor impairments and some can't respond
verbal items because of impaired communication skills. More subtlely(sp?)
if the child is young(below 8 yrs.), the norms for most such tests assumed
a youngster with a normal developmental experience.How many moderate
impaired CP have fully explored their enviroments like non-CP's. There are
very few psychologists trained to give such test to CP's and come out with
a valid score. Most are way too low or way too high.

        2. People place for too much emphasis on IQ. IQ correlates with school
achievement and THAT IS ALL IT CORRELATES WITH. There is 0 correlation with
adjustment, adult success, etc.This is why you are hearing more and more
about emotional IQ's. Young kids(technically) can get a much higher or
lower IQ scores than adults because of the intectually developmental curve,
which, for intents and purposes, ceases between 18 and 20 years.I can never
get as high an IQ now than I did in college!

Bobby