C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:54:26 EDT
Hi everyone-

I just started really dating this year--at the grand old age of 21 LOL. Talk
about a late bloomer.   I use a wheelchair or scooter most of the time but
can walk some too.  My boyfriend Shane (who i've mentioned before so I won't
give a compleet discription of his disability) also has CP and uses a chair
all of the time and is a severe stutter.  Sometimes it can take a few minuts
to get through sentences.  Our friends in the CW HOG program are always
asking me if the stuttering gets on my nerves.  I say no it dosn't...it's
just part of who Shane is and I like him for who he is not how fast or slow
he talks.  In fact we are going out this evening to see the movie Autum in
New York.  I am so excited.  He's coming over in about 2 hours to pick me up.

Both of us have never realy been in a relationship before.  He is 7 years and
some months older than I am.  So he is actually the late bloomer at 29 (his
birthday was in July).  I don't think he had ever really dated before...he is
so shy!

Since I walk some I often play the role of door oppener if I am not in my
chair...I also have a tendency to be the one to park the scooter in
restraunts and to pick up stuff he drops as he dosn't currently carry a
reacher with him.  We have gotton so that we know each others abilities and
know when and when not to help each other.  That's something that comes to a
relationship with time.  Listen to me I sound like I am such an expert in
these matters and nothing could be farther from the truth.  It is a grand
adventure let me tell you--one that I must say I am enjoying.

I often joke with him that this is one relationship were the sexes are equal
because I am less disabled than he is.  We have fun with that one.

Yours,
Anee

In a message dated 8/18/00 3:31:35 PM Mountain Daylight Time,