C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:47:36 -0400
Sounds like it's time to take legal action for yourself, Betty. Not a bad
idea for any of us as a matter of fact. You need to set up directive that
spells out what you want or don't want should you be unable to speak for
yourself. Think really careful with this. Is a feeding tube Ok? How about a
vent. How long would you tolerate these artificial aids to life. What is
life worth living for you and what wouldn't be. I always thought a feeding
tube was a horrible thing for a person to endure. Then Alex got one and he
began to thrive and not just survive. My attitude changed there from
experience. Then talk, talk,talk to everyone about your wishes. Tell your
doctors and have it entered into your medical records. Tell your closest
friends and family. WRITE IT DOWN and have it notarized.Make sure theirs
know where that piece of paper can be found. Have a lawyer write up an
advance directive.You can take control but it has to be now and not when a
crisis is at hand and people are left guessing about your wishes.
Joanne