C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:46:11 +0100
On Wednesday 24 June 2009 17:52:11 Kendall D. Corbett wrote:
> Deri,
>
> But in many cases, sales staff in the US get a commission on what they
> sell. If she were eligible for commission as sales staff and was moved to
> the stockroom, that would definitely be discriminatory. It may be that the
> company's concern with their "image" needs to be broadened to include
> people who have physical differences.

They certainly could not discriminate in terms of hiring policy (and the fact
she was offered a job indicates its not discriminatory). I believe commission
for retail staff is rare in the UK (unions are keen for employers to pay a
"living wage" rather than rely on commission). This is probably the reason for
the difference in service levels - UK v. USA!!

I have encountered similar  circumstances. When employed in "help desk"
environments, I have always done 2nd or 3rd level support rather than front
line, this is because my poor phone speech would not be good dealing with Joe
Public, but its fine for dealing with people who work with me. I find this is a
practical attitude rather than discrimination.

> Some of the comments to the article in the Mail reflected the same attitude
> you seem to be stating - that the company has the right to make whatever
> hiring or staffing decisions it feels are appropriate to fit
> their "business model/brand image." Could the company decide that people of
> African or Arabic origin didn't meet their "brand image" and keep them off
> the sales floor, or refuse to hire them at all?
>
> As far as Cerri Burnell's situation, if she did send in the complaints
> herself, it seems to have been a fairly good career move ;-{)} but if she
> didn't, in the UK, which seems to be much more pro-active regarding
> disability awareness, is there still an active (institutional v individual)
> bias against people with disabilities. I'll admit I'm being intentionally
> obtuse in hopes of generating a little discussion.

I'm sure it still exists, but it would be hard for me to provide personal
examples, since I've always managed to do whatever I planned to do. The secret
is to always pick targets which are achievable!! ;-)

Its a good job I didn't set my heart on becoming a Harlem Globetrotter (always
thought Meadowlark Lemon had a top job!!!)

> First it was the winter doldrums, now is it the summer blahs? Or have
> Facebook/Mafia Wars and MySpace and it's apps pulled too many away from
> other online communities?

I think we ought to be probing Beth further on this romantic Italian trip, is
she taking John?

Cheers

Deri