C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:59:31 EST
HI all-

Well pain in my back and neck is what started CPIC.  After being told by a
nurologist in privet practice and an orthopedist at scottish rite 6 years ago
that basicaly there was no litrature to support my claims and no clinical
evidence (which at that time there was not).  Now let me tell you physically
my doc can support my claims vai x-ray and physical exam.  Also I can tell
you that there is a growing body of litrature out there that deals with
secondary conditions and CP you just have to know were and how to look--and
that is something that must be learned. The best advise I can give to any of
us who have these problems is find a doctor who 1. is willing to listin to
you.  2. is willing to learn about the uniqueness of adults with cp by doing
research if necessary, 3. really knows something about medicine and 4. takes
you seriously and cares (and believe they are hard to find but they are out
there).  I feel lucky that I have 2 family practicners who both fit this
discription.  The key to adults with CP is management, and communication.
Find someone you feel you can really work with and that will work with you to
manage your secondary disbilities as well as your primary one.

Anee Stanford
Founder of CPIC
West Campus #104
Idaho State University