C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:00:01 -0700
Anthony,
It is one thing to need counseling, and another to need to be in a psych
hospital.  Both my parents were Psychologists well, dad was, and mom was an
MSW who had issues with her own intermittant blow ups. Anyway, people who
take care of their emotions will be more respected than those who do not.
Don't be afraid to get counseling, and many people take anti-depressants,
so it should not impact how people in the community feel about you. And,
fwiw, (for what it's worth) you should not be too concerned about how
others view you! In the late 70's I used to listen to a wonderful lady
named Dr. Terry Whitaker, and she wrote a great book, titled;
"What you think of me is none of my business" and I found it very
liberating. As long as you live your life in an ethical way, what others
think of you should not matter.

Don't let others push you into anything. Like Kat's mother, and my mother,
I was a reactive personality who could explode now and then. I had to go to
counseling when my episodes threatened my marriage. As annoying as my
husband was at the time, he didn't deserve to be screamed at or have books
tossed at him. I learned to see the red flags for myself... went something
like this;
annoyance, pissed off, anger rising, perhaps getting hot in my neck, Anger,
and then rage.... When I learned to recognize those red flags, and it took
me about nine months, I could see it coming, and tell him, okay I need a
time out, either you need to leave me alone, or I need to go in the other
room to calm down... There were defintely times I felt he was pushing me on
purpose, by trying to belittle my feelings of anger, by saying, oh come on,
you're not realy mad... there was one time he was doing that, and I had
reached the boiling point, and had to say, Tim, please, leave me alone, I
am really angry and if you don't get out of my face now, I will SLUG YOU!
So, that is how counseling can help.

Mag

Come visit my new store! I now carry tee shirts and other items!
http://www.cafepress.com/TamarMag
visit my Blog at; http://tamarmag-newsletters.blogspot.com/