C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 01:32:11 EDT
I seem to have heard about this incident somewhere before; maybe it was on
this list.  From what I read in your post, I can feel plenty of rage for Mr.
Kirby.  I don't think society is moving in that direction though.

The wheels of justice are going to move more slowly for us.  We are
different, either physically or mentally -- or both, and we look like "less"
to those who have been brainwashed by the generational attitude that we must
accept "our" lot.  It will take years of disability awareness education and
public exposure before most nondisabled people truly regard us as equals.  It
will take that long for them to see the barriers as the true obstacle, rather
than our disabilities.  Before this can occur, they must awaken to the fact
that society has been constructed incorrectly.  Society has been constructed
in such a way that we are naturally excluded.

The issue is society's barriers, not our disabilities.  TAB awareness of that
fact is the key to change.

I said in a previous post regarding Yvonne's concerns that I believed that
the next generation would have a better attitude about the disability
community.  I do believe that.  People will have more patience in trying to
communicate with a person who's speech is impaired.  They will be less
apprehensive about being around someone with uncontrollable movements.  Women
with disabilities will be able to walk (ride, whatever) the streets pregnant
without encountering the silent accusal of further muddying the gene pool.

I am convinced that there is forward motion in this regard.  It's just hard
to predict how long it will take before we are accepted as full members of
society in the minds and hearts of our nondisabled neighbors.  Sadly, I am
sure that will not happen by tomorrow.

If I may use a Star Trek original series reference, there was an episode
where the crew ran into a generational ship.  The crew of the latter ship was
heading for their home planet, but would not reach it for a number of
generations.  Their voyage was essentially on behalf of their descendants.

This is our voyage as well.  We will see improvements during the course of
our lifetimes, but what we are striving to accomplish will in part be passed
on to our children.  Their struggle will be less, and progress will continue.

On good days, when I am not haunted by the ghosts of beloved friends who left
me (my only true disabling condition), this forward motion is clearly
visible.

As far as this incident is concerned, I am surprised.  Perhaps I shouldn't
be, but I am.  I would not have thought that a merchant would refuse to sell
alcohol to someone because of his disability.  Furthermore, I am shocked that
the Southland Corporation has supported its employees action.  I have heard
some atrociously negative comments by former coworkers, former friends, and
others over the course of the past three years, so I can believe this
happened.  I just don't want to believe it happened.

Betty

In a message dated 05/25/2000 11:43:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,