C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:04:34 -0600
Rheumatoid arthritis often causes loosing of the tendons and ligaments.  My
friend needed a C1-C2 fusion (yep, that's right C1-C2).  They went around
posteriorly and cut her along almost the entire cervical spine.  They tried
using cadaver bone the first time(at the local hospital), second they used
hip bone.  If her vertebrae would have slipped she would have been a C1
quad.  They were very impressed with the professionalism of the staff and
doctors at Shands(Shands is affiliated with University of Florida Medical
Center/College, etc.) I would start by getting an official name for the
specific procedure and check out Medscape (www.medscape.com) they have
access to different articles.  You could also call/contact Shand's
www.shands.org
Neurosurgical Specialties (Adult & Pediatric)
Shands at UF/Health Science Center, Dental Wing, 2nd Floor, Room D2-43A
 University Neurosurgeons
720 S.W. Second Ave. Suite 458 Neurosurgical Specialties (Adult & Pediatric)
Shands at UF/Health Science Center, Dental Wing, 2nd Floor, Room D2-43A
 University Neurosurgeons
720 S.W. Second Ave. Suite 458 To schedule an appointment at any of these
practices, call
1-800 PHYSCIAN (1-800-633-2122) or 352-265-8000.

That should get you started, if they can't help you they may be able to hook
you up with someone closer to home.  I would say that spastisity and
anterior presentation would complicate matters.

Necks aren't my specialty but, they are attached to the rest and I know
enough to be dangerous.

Hope that helps get you started.

Beth the OT <gentle hugs>