C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:19:48 -0500
(I guess it's a sad  commentary on the state of things that I'm not
surprised at this. K)

Bus Matron Said To Have Left Special Needs Student On Bus

By: NY1 News

Police have arrested a bus matron after a special needs student was
left overnight on a Brooklyn bus in sub-freezing temperatures
Wednesday.

Linda Hockaday, 51, was arrested Thursday night and now faces charges
of reckless endangerment.

Investigators found Edwin Rivera cold and shivering at a Brooklyn bus
yard Thursday morning, nearly 24 hours after he left home.

The 22-year-old, who has cerebral palsy, is being treated for
hypothermia at Brookdale University Medical Center.

Rivera's family reported him missing around 9:30 p.m. on New Year's
Eve when he didn't return to his East Harlem home after taking part in
a special needs program.

They are still trying to figure out how this could have happened.

"How could they do that, how could they lose a person?" said Khristine
Rivera, the student's brother. "He's like 6'2 and hunches over, the
seats are not even high."

"I hope something, something's got to happen," she continued. "Because
that's just pure negligence and stupidity and just because he is the
way he is doesn't mean he's less of a person, he just needs extra
help."

Edwin Rivera is said to be in stable condition.

NY1 has reached out to Outstanding Transport, which owns the the bus,
but has not received a response.