C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BrightIs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:46:22 -0500
One thing you have to remember is that our children, the ones that cannot
use verbal language, they are extremely frustrated.  I went through this
with my oldest son who did not utter a single word until after age two, and
he still has trouble with language at age 8 1/2.  We are going through it
again with Zachary, who at age 2 1/2 has only a five word vocabulary and
then doesn't use those words unless we direct him to.
We try to use different ways of handling the whining, one way is we are
trying to teach him some sign language, adapted of course.  Like he does the
sign for more on a regular basis, and I found out that he uses one finger
and points to his chin if he wants a drink, three finers and he wants some
food.  We also try not giving in to the whining, it is much easier at home
than out in public.
It will take some time, we are also thinking about putting a picture book
together so Zachary can point to things he wants, only draw back is that his
hands are the most effected part of his body and is still unable to turn
pages.
Just a few ideas, hope this helps some.
Deborah mom of 4