C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:11:52 -0300
  ISM, when you grow up with 5 lads, it is never lost on you how icky they
can be some times. Taking chocolates out of the box, and having a bite and
then putting it back is something I remember them doing; annoyed me then,
and it annoys me now :)  Besides, it was you had the chocolates. So there,
too! :)

  And yes, I agree, young ladies need to mind their manners. But I'm old and
crotchety, so don't mess with me! I agree again that no one is perfect and I
don't think anyone, including myself was particularly ascribing to you what
we cannot acknowlege in ourselves.

  Given that I did not know and do not know what transpired between you and
Rayna, and don't care to know, I can't speak to any of that.

  I think it's important for us to take this list for what it is .. a
meeting place for anyone and everyone who may share that "thing" known as
cerebral palsy. There are those among us who never have had nor never will
have many of the life experiences of  some of the others, whether it be a
relatively happy home life, a moderately or highly successful school life, a
solid career life, marriage and family. On a certain level, we bring a
degree of emotional baggage with us to these "helping" lists and sometimes,
without much provocation, it slips out. We then must examine what it really
was, about what may have been said, that upset us, annoyed us, hurt us. In
other words, who is the real target?

  This list needs to be a safe place for everyone, and you're right, we're
entitled to our opinions. I for one, would like to see some more serious
threads going on. No doubt there are many lurkers (some young, some old) out
there who might benefit from what we have learned as we travel this path
known as "living with cerebral palsy". Maybe, just maybe, with our
collective help, those who are dealing with touchy life issues might get the
help they don't see themselves getting in their "real" lives. Key to success
of anything of this sort is that we not undermine the feelings of others.
What may seem a huge problem for one might seem trivial to someone else. Be
that as it may, it would be nice for us to feel comfortable enough unloading
as the need arises.

  I could start by telling you all about Expo 67, which I didn't get to see
while my brothers and sisters did.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier