C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:16:45 EST
In a message dated 12/11/1999 1:31:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Betty , you don't have Cerebral Palsy?  If I may ask what is your
disability

Certainly you can ask Kathy.  I have peripheral neuropathy which affects my
arms and legs.  For me it is acting a little like MS, if that helps describe
it better.

Betty brought up a good point here about a cousin.  In my real life , people
 don't want to hear about my disability problems , expect people who will
 give me sympathy and I don't want or need that.

 I agree.  I was thinking the same thing myself when I was writing about my
cousin.  People don't understand about that sometimes.  I didn't understand
myself before I had a disability.  I thought I was totally clued in though.
I wish that some of the people with disabilities that I knew in those days
had talked about this a little bit.  I would have wanted to learn more.  But
maybe they were and I wasn't listening.  I just didn't know the depth of some
of the more serious problems.  I didn't know how few of us were in the
workforce, problems with rehab issues, etc.etc. I had a lot to learn and
still do have a lot to learn.
Betty