C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:08:42 -0800
Hi Christian,
  I have the gag reflex when taking liquid medications. The taste seems to
offend me. Yuck.

  To get around that problem, I put liquid medicine in gel capsules and take
with a great swallow of water. For example, it will take 3 gelatin capsules
(from the health food store) to equal 1 teaspoon of medicine. Cough medicines
usually say 2 teaspoons every 4 hours or so for adults. With one teaspoon,
I'm asleep within 15 minutes. :)

  If you have difficulty taking tablets, you can put them in a gel cap. The
gel cap has no taste at all. Crushing a tablet diminishes its effectiveness
to some extent, making it act faster than it should. Putting the whole tablet
in a gel cap will remove this problem.

  I also have difficulty brushing my back teeth from time to time. But having
a very good electric tooth brush helps with that for the most part.

  Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier