C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 2009 23:56:16 -0400
As a mom to a now 3 year old, I can definitely remember when Donny
was about 18 months -2.5 years when his language skills were not as
developed that he would hit, pinch and grab in frustration...and no
doubt he meant to hurt (most horrifying moment was when he began to
use hard plastic drum sticks on a neighbor's son's HEAD as if he was
the drum!)  But this behavior passed when his language skills
improved.  Now, I would still talk to your doc because the onset of
the behavior coincides with the new med., but it also could very well
be frustration with his delayed language.  In the meantime, separate
the kids completely via a gate or something so your little one
doesn't get hurt and when you discipline your 2 year old, I would be
short and sweet and then ignore...if he is doing it for attention,
you don't want to encourage it more via acknowledging it too much.  A
simple "No, don't hit!" and then off to time out (and you leave the
room or otherwise not engage him).

Linda Macaulay