C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:38:18 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/2000 12:48:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Can one get carbon paper easily these days? Where? >>

Usualy one can get carbon paper--more often cabonless paper form the
disability support office at the school.

As for Dragon Dictate and other voice recognition programs I have to tell you
that  I have had no sucess and I have only a very mild speach imparment.
However many people have had great sucess with voice recognition.  Because of
the way that these programs work--you have to sit down and train them to the
users voice reading a set  list of words and phrases that the program
provides for it to be most effective--expecting to play a tape and have the
computer type out from the voice on the tape is not going to work.  You also
must learn to speek in a monotonic, clear voice and not run words together.
This is the part I have truble with.  The other thing that I found is that it
took twice as long for me to correct errors and that there were more errors
occoring.

Personly I have had much better sucess with abrevation expansion softwere.
It along with doing medical transcription for 2 years 4 hours a day increased
my typing speed from 18 wpm to about 24-28 wpm and eleminated alot of errors
in my typing.  If you want more information on abrevation expansion softwere
I can give you the names and websites of some good programs.

Well that's just my experience.

Anee
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/