C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joy Liebeskind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:36:29 -0400
As part of the training they are taught to clean to reduce dander- it
is a small price to pay for being allowed to have them where no other
animals can be. Most providers of dogs have that written in their
contracts---Joy
On Aug 19, 2007, at 4:48 PM, kat wrote:

> I have a cat - I try to brush off as much hair as I can before leaving
> the house but there is no early way that anyone allergic to cats can
> reasonably expect cat owners to be free of all cat dander when they
> leave the house. If I have a guest over to my place who's allergic to
> cats, I'll shut the cat up in a room but I think that's all that's
> reasonable to ask of a pet owner in public places.  I do think it's
> unreasonable to ask people who are dependent on service dogs to not use
> them when
>  the law says they can.
>
> FYI, I suffer from allergies myself but I don't expect the world to
> accommodate me on that score - it's asking too much.  I have to watch
> out for allergens on my own and cope with them as I and my doctor see
> fit.
>
> Kat
>
> Joy Liebeskind wrote:
>> I have a daughter- Young adult (19) who is terrified of dogs & very
>> allergic to dogs. She is in a wheelchair-so hard to get away from
>> them- but service dogs are supposed to be washed regularly to
>> eliminate dander & shedding hair. I think people with service dogs
>> don't all follow the rules as well as they should making health issues
>> for others around then with & without disabilities. joy Ct
>> On Aug 17, 2007, at 10:43 PM, kat wrote:
>>
>>     Well... I can *kind* of understand the other side of it as I am
>>     allergic
>>     to tobacco smoke - kinda hard to live with in a tobacco town, eh?
>> But
>>     it did tick me off too as I think the ADA is being abused by
>>     people who
>>     claim they are disabled because of obesity, etc. I wonder what's
>> next
>>     - a guy claiming ADA rights becauise he's got gout and doesn't
>> want
>>     wheelchairs around for fear of being run over on his foot?
>>

>>     Kat
>>

> -----------------------

Joy C Liebeskind
Coordinator Family to Family Health Information Network
Favor Inc      2138 Silas Deane Highway  Suite 103
Rocky Hill, Ct 06067
860-563-3232 Ext 108     866-630-6055  Toll Free
Cell Phone 203-641-0679
Coordinator CT Lifespan Respite Coalition (CLRC)
Medical Home Initiative at CLRC
CTRespite.org        [log in to unmask]
860-247-2572 or 860-513-0172
860-247-2572 or 203-272-9058