C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:39:49 -0400
No, Michael, I'm not related to Grover.  There are two lines of Clevelands in the U.S.  One settled in New York state (the "northern" line--Grover's) and the other came through the Tidewater region of Virginia (the "southern" line--mine).  My Cleveland ancestors emigrating from North Yorkshire, England.  I have visited the grave of the first (in my line) emigre, Alexander Cleveland, in Gloucester, Virginia.  He arrived in 1684.  My son is his namesake.

It's ironic that you should ask, Michael, because I took a bunch of soldiers this weekend with a bunch touring Civil War battlefields, and since the rental car was mine (grin) I decided to stop by my "famous" ancestor's grave: Col. Benjamin Cleveland.  He's my seven "greats" grandfather.  I think he had a walk-on part in Mel Gibson's movie, "Patriot" (LOL!).  Anyway, he's my claim to fame:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Cleveland

So we put about 500 miles on this minivan running around Tennessee, Virginia, North and South Carolina this weekend.  Hanna's gone, but they're now saying that Ike is going to be a doozy.  We're all tired, bored and we just wanna go home <sniff>.  Waiting around for something to happen is a real drag.

One of the Civil Affairs soldiers brought an MP3 player along and we were able to plug it into the car stereo.  She had downloaded a song recorded by a girl named Eva Cassidy.  She'd covered Sting's "Fields of Gold."  Anyone ever heard of her?  I swear, it was like listening to an angel!  She apparently died of melanoma about six or seven years ago.  She was only 33.  Anyway, if you get a chance, go out on youtube and listen to this song.  If you don't cry your heart's made of stone.  Captain Summers also had some recordings of the Peasall Sisters.  They were the voices behind the three little girls in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".  Really sweet and tender harmonies--good stuff!  Makes us even more homesick, and we've only been here a few days!  LOL!

Deri, Kat, Ken:  If you could hook up keclevel@gmail for me, that would be great.  I want to run parallel on both email addresses at least until I get back home.  Don't want to miss any of the fun <grin>.

We're going to watch "Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome" tonight in honor of Hurricane Ike.  I know it's a stretch, but Tina Turner's in the movie and that was the only one we could think of that had even a remote relationship to "Ike".

Y'all be safe.

Kyle