C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:58:04 EST
Trisha-

Yes and no.  College and disability is a little diffrent in that the disabled
indvidule wokring with the disablities office is responsible for making
things happen not the parents or the disabilities office or the government.
This is one reason it is a good iead for Amber to participate in ARDs and IEP
meetings now that she is 12/13.  This will really help her in the future to
become good at dealing with the burocricy and making shure that she sees her
needs are met.

  What individule colleges do varies alot but they do have to follow the laws
like Section 501 and ADA that have been passed by the government.  I don't
think that IDEA applies to colleges--someone correct me if I am wrong--as
you  don't have an IEP in college.  What colleges will do varies alot but
they must make adaptions  like say enlarge the text...provied extra time on
tests...move a class if it not acessable...stuff like that they have to do by
law.  Sometimes if your disability affects your ability to take a math class
or a PE class than they will wave the requirement at most schools and alow
you to take somthing as a replacement for those credits it's usualy forign
language...like wise if you were unable to take forign language because of
speech and hearing imparment they might alow sign language or anaother type
of course to take it;s place.  That is something that you must talk to the
disabilities office about.  Now sometimes if the major requires couses like
the math courses that my major requires than they can not waive the
requirements because it is a mjor part of the criculim, but if your major was
say english or psychology then they would be able to wave the math
requirement if nessecarry.  My mom keeps tellling me "can't they exempt
you...that [psychological] testing said that you shouldn;t take math..." and
so on....and I tell my mom that "they probably won't exempt me because about
half of the courses in my major wich is healthcare administration are
financial cources and you need to be able to do the algebra and statistics to
pass those courses."   This is the only major I could find that was
healthcare realted and did not require the kind of math that I really can;t
do...trig...calculess..ect.  At least with algebra and statistics I have a
chance.  I really want to work in the health care field.

If you are intrsted I can send you a list of colleges that are reckognized
for there services for people with physcial disabilities.  This is out of
books that are out of print but the infromation is still current.  If you are
interested e-mail me privetly ([log in to unmask]) and I will send you the list.

-Anee
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/CPIC.html

In a message dated 11/2/1999 12:28:33 PM Central Standard Time,