C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:18:27 -0700
Kyle,

In the guard and civilian work you do, how much emphasis is put on people
with disabilities?  After Katrina and Rita, a huge hole was revealed in
plans for this population, and we're trying to plan for it on a state
level.  One of the responses from Homeland Security was that people with
disabilities should have their own evacuation plans in place, and these
would basically be "it."  This doesn't take into consideration the
tremendous dislocation caused by a disaster.  One of the things we were told
was that we needed to have a list of accessible vehicles to use to evacuate
people using power mobility.  This is workable _IF_ I have time to get my
chair to the evacuation point, unload it, and go back to pick people up.
This also assumes that there won't be road hazards that will prevent a
lowered floor van from entering an area, and that emergency management
personnel are provided with a list of authorized vehicles to enter areas
that private vehicles might otherwise be barred from entering.
I don't argue that people with disabilities shouldn't have plans in place,
but the nature of disaters is that they aren't optimal circumstances.

--

Kendall

depends on the unreasonable man.

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950