C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
I. S. Margolis
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:41:31 -0500
As mentioned about 7 years ago I had an emergency C-2-5 laminectomy
(posterior) to relieve the pressure on my "exploding" spinal cord (which
is why I'm still a recovering  "quad").  Since I was then dying from
cord damage, the docs figured that unzipping the back seam would give
the spinal cord wiggle room to evade the stenosis.  The night before
surgery, they had zapped me with steroids and said that unless the cord
stopped swelling they couldn't assure my survival.

Apparently posterior cervical surgery is less drastic and risky than
anterior.  They had me on the table and could have flipped and sliced as
I had imposed no limits.  Maybe I lucked out, maybe my family held sway,
maybe the fact that my neurologist was a college chum, maybe I just had
cautious respectful doctors-I sensed they were totally committed to my
survival and recovery.   I was a sight and curiosity when the emergency
wagon brought me in to Einstein.  The surgery team slept at the hospital
because an ice storm was locking up Philadelphia.

I do still wonder.  I do not have an easy effective way of discussing
this.  Many people (including me), go into denial and suggest remedies
that seem irrelevant, palliative, temporizing, and downright
unrealistic.  That's why I posted about my friend and indicated
"epidemic" in Philly-to show I'm not exceptional.  I'm opening a still
personally painful and saddening (for me) level of my "reality" and
trying to warn as many willing to listen to be watchful and careful
about what your body tells you.

I sometimes feel as welcome as the "Ancient Mariner."  I also suspect he
had bad breath.   <G>

A number of friends on this list know what hit me this summer.  I live
and function "on the edge" in many respects, a dagger on my spinal cord.
I am grateful for the love and support you send my way.

Betheot.  Thank you.  You've helped.  Maybe you ought to do more neck
and cervical spine work and study.  Given modern life styles and
occupations-a hugely significant and lucrative field.

Hugs and love,

Steve M.