C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Charles Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:55:24 -0400
Don't even get me started on this!!!!!!!!.
Alex receives his care at a major children's hospital.
It is known nationwide for "cutting edge" medical care.  In fairness, Alex
wouldn't be here without some of the wonderful doctors and nurses there but
just the same...
It doesn't help to be giving his health history before an endoscope when he
was almost 3yo and have the nurse say...OK, he has CP, he's 3 yo and he
doesn't walk...how retarded is he?......
Excuse me???? I'm not sure where she received her medical training but last
time I looked at a picture of human anatomy the brain was NOT located
anywhere near the leg area ( although I think she may be a medical
abnormality herself with her brain located up her southern region.)...or the
student nurse who didn't know how to use an ear thermometer ( don't even
think of asking for details) or most recently the resident who came in to
take the case history for Alex's first post op visit after the SDR.  I told
him that I was worried that the incision was looking infected and he had to
ask where the incision was to inspect it....no no no!!!! I changed my mind ,
keep your hands off my son!!!!  I know these people are learning, and I can
appreciate just how much they have to take in at once but is it really to
much to ask them to read the most recent medical reports pertaining to the
visit ( I don't ever expect anyone to  read Alex's "chart" as we are on file
5 ands they need to transport it all on a mail cart and I carry my own
version of Cliff Notes concerning his history) before they walk into the
room.  If they are going to ask me if I have any questions how confident can
I be when they can't find the incision without my help.  To add salt to the
wound I get charged for educating them.  Seems like it should be the other
way around.
Joanne