C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sarah Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2011 21:06:47 -0700
Hi all,  I'm just a little peeved.

After a six week delay I managed to get back into the usa and with my family.  My daughter is bigger and talks up a storm.  I love being home.  However I wish people were honest about the situation.  My daughter stayed mostly with friends as my husband worked graveyard.  But he insisted that if she was with me she should be close to him, and they offered to help us out.  however it all comes down to money.  He gave them all of her ssi support money, plus extra (they insisted, even at the expense of our own bills).  when i returned they were upset not that we took her back, but that we were not going to give them all the money.

Just to compound this.  she is still staying with them two days a week because she is attending a preschool class for children with special needs.  where the bus picks up depends on where you live, and with a month left of school we didn't want to pull her out.  We did give them some money, what we thought was reasonable, and they agreed.  they knew we needed to buy silly little things like groceries.  but I still get calls daily trying to guilt trip me into giving them money.  the only way we'd be able to is if we didn't pay rent.  I hate feeling like they're using my daughter as their cash cow.

So she's not in any therapy right now.  She has class twice a week where she gets an hour of speech therapy.  She has a foot brace so her walking is fine.  However they can't seem to find her hand brace.  The problem is that her thumb muscles on her right hand are stiffening.  we ran into this when she was first diagnosed.  its from non-use of her right hand.  When i left her a year ago she would actively try with her right hand, and now even with encouragement its a struggle to get her to use it.  She does not know letters, numbers or colors, again which she was starting to when I left.  no one seems to know where she is medically.  I'm told there was a mention of optometrist and dentist, but no one seems to know where that stands.

I was told she was doing well, everything was fine, etc etc.  I'm not sure who to be more upset with; my husband or the sitter.

Sarah
mommy to Katrina 3yrs old, hemi cp