C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michel Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 23:05:51 -0400
Linda,

You need an extension at the end. Macintosh computers recognise the file
type by hidden "Type" and "Cretator" codes that accompany the file. Windows
computers, on the other hand, rely on a 3-letter (sometimes 4-letter)
extension in the _file name_.

For images, here are the most frequent ones:
- ".jpg" for JPeg images (usually photos)
- ".gif" for Gif files (usually graphics, logos, charts, etc.)
- ".tif" for Tiff files (usually very large high definition
         images used for printing
- ".png" a "new" graphic format -- Windows only
- ".bmp" for the basic Paint format (à la MacPaint, but different)
- ".pct" or ".pict" for the Macintosh Pict format
  (a few graphics packages open ".pic" files, but no browser does.

I doubt that a Pict file would easily open on *all* PC computers, but people
are able to import the image from Word. On the other hand, if you're able to
export the report as a ".gif" or as a ".jpg" file, everyone will be able to
see it from their browser or even right from their e-mail software.

To save a PICT file so it is considered as such on Windows, simply "save as"
"myfilename.pct". Likewise, to save a Jpeg file, "save as" "myfilename.jpg".

Michel Gagnon