C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Katherine Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:51:24 -0400
I hope somebody got reprimanded over this - talk about sloppy.  It did
make me laugh though, in an "isn't this pathetic" kind of way.

It's funny you sent this now because I am in the middle of a book
called "The Holocaust in American Life" which discusses the ways in
which the Holocaust has become very important to us, though it happened
thousands of miles away.  The author is not so much critiquing American
interest in injustice as he is saying that basically, it's easier to
confront the Nazi evil, rather than our own.  In other words, we have
not given anything like the attention to slavery and racial oppression
that would be needed to really make things right for African-Americans,
in this author's view, yet we talk about the Holocaust a lot and we
compare many current events to it.

I don't agree with everything he says.  He certainly is provocative.
But he's got a point when he questions the value of Holocaust
education.  It is assumed in many places that teaching the Holocaust
makes Americans better people.  He wonders about this, given that many
American junior high school kids cannot place WW2 in the correct
half-century.

!!

My father is very interested in history and politics and all my life, I
have heard rants about how ignorant most Americans are of both, which
is true.  When I was a child, his attitude irritated me greatly.  Now I
see the point in what he says.  He was chronically angry about it which
is off-putting, but it does cause anger to value something highly that
is not taken seriously by most people in this country.

Personally, I think the History Channel and Wikipedia are great
resources.

Mary Katherine