C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. STEPHEN MARGOLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:31:21 -0400
Dear Betty,

Your heartfelt statement rings brilliantly, profound and true.

For me the crux remains that the all too arrogantly temporarily able bodied
person perceives disability from a mental/emotional dimension which
insulates them from acknowledging their own vulnerabilities and flaws.  Thus
they resist assimilating and accepting our beings.  We are a constant
irritant, a reminder of reality, around which they secrete layers of denial.

Family members can be more practiced and brutal at communal isolation and
social rape than coworkers or friends.

I'm sending your statement to my family and friends.  It speaks to and for
me.  Hopefully your clarity will enlighten their minds, hearts, and souls.
I have far less hope of them changing and  behaving more inclusively.
Perhaps at my age and skepticism I no longer feel certain they provide a
worth community.  I almost changed the subject to emphasize my disquiet.
Then I realized that ostracism, stigmatizing, and restricting communal
participation are also "assisted suicides."

Thank you again for writing so superbly about matters too painful for me to
articulate with composure.  You are wise and gifted.

Sincerely,

Steve Margolis