C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 22:06:19 -0800
Hi Kim,

I agree with the suggestions about Protection and Advocacy Services and
standing up for what you want in Stefan's IEP. I wish you well in that
process!

When I was young, both my therapists and my mom focused on helping me make
the most of my abilities, so we worked a lot on ADLs. It seems like Stefan's
therapists should certainly be working with him on ADLs. As I grew into
adolescence, and especially in high school, we focused on how I could live
well with my physical abilities. What adaptive equipment did I need? How
much attendant help would I need? How could I be independent between
attendants? Etc.. This shift in focus really helped prepare me for living
independently.

During adolescence I also learned how to direct other people in my care and
how to interact with them while they were helping me. I spent 2 weeks each
summer at an easter seals camp (what fun!) and  began to have a little
attendant help at home - a neighbor friend would meet me after school and
give me a snack.These were good places for me to learn how to receive
assistance from people outside my family.

I don't know how much this helps your immediate situation, but I hope having
an overall picture helps a bit.

Pam