C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jason Kruse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:27:41 -0500
Hello everyone-
Not sure if you all remember my daughter and I? Lauren is 6 years old
now and in 1st grade. She had an inutero stroke with mild left
hemiplegia, and hypotonia, pervasive developmental disorder and some
ADHD. She is growing up to be quite a charming girl and has the hearts
of most people that work with her. But she has started to get into some
trouble with sticking out her tongue, making mean faces, and most
recently called her teacher poopoo head. She has a interelated teacher
that is really great and communicates every day with mom and I about how
she does and feels that she really seems to strive for adult attention
and doesn't really seem to be adversely affected by timeouts or being
taken out of class and actually may even being trying to get out of
class with the behaviors. As her parent we agree that most punishments
don't work unless they are swift, consistant and very matter of fact.
Boring time outs that are appropriate timed are helpful. However the
school doesn't feel comfortable with the kind of timeout that it would
take to get the same results at school. For those wondering she gets
enormous praise from both mom and I and we are very encouraging so we
are a little perplexed why she goes after the other as well. She is a
hard nut to crack but were still trying. She is very quarky and does and
says things that don't quite add up and some cause and effect
understanding seems to be lacking a little.

I was wandering from any of you if you yourself as a child with a
"disability" and with all this "attention" if you every delt with the
issues I mentioned above. It certainly is counter productive in our
girls case but not sure how to go about getting to desire less adult
attention. She is not swayed in anyway by peer pressure at this time
yet. How have any other delt with their kids in this similar
situation??????

Thank you all in advance. This has always been a great resource

Jason Kruse and Lauren