C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loree Monroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:48:27 EDT
Annee,

<< What I would like to here from you is:
 1. Whether or not you think I should include information on alternative
 therapies (for example supplements, aromatherapy, chiropractics/massage,
 acupuncture etc.) on my website?>>

I think your idea is great. I am very interested because I work in a clinic
and people ask me questions about this stuff daily and there is very little
information out there saying worthwhile or worthless.
You do truly need to put a lot of disclaimers with this information. Since
the web is international, it's likely that you will receive some interesting
insights because herbs are much more accepted in other countries than the USA.
My main concern about use of alternative therapy is that the individual not
be 'ripped off.' For instance, a patient asked me about some high fiber &
herb capsules that were purported to assist with weight loss. The main
ingredient is a common form of dietary fiber, and commercially available in
other forms at much less cost.

 <<2. What alternative therapies you have found useful and for what purposes?
(For
 example I have found aromatherapy helpful in reducing muscle tension and
 making my muscles relax more.)>>

Unfortunately, I don't have much information about CP, but, the most common
sucessful 'alternative' I hear about is glucosamine, which is an amino acid
that is used to relieve joint pain (generally osteoarthritis-aging and
overuse related joint pain.)

Loree in MO