C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 01:31:08 -0500
That's really interesting, Mag.  I consider myself very much Jewish,
religiously and culturally... This puts me in a tough spot, since I
absolutely abhor Israel's policies toward Palestinian civilians (not to open
a can of worms), and refuse to support them (whether moral support or
monetary)... This makes many of my similarly religious friends see me as a
traitor of sorts or a self-hating Jew.  I only mention this to make the
point that I'm not reluctant to criticize Israel when I feel they're in the
wrong... I don't mean to get into a discussion on the Palestinian issue or
the peace process - I don't think this is the place for that.  Feel free to
email me off-list.

However, I've visited the country (for about 2 weeks in '96), and got the
impression that people with disabilities were treated well.  I sort of
figured that since they had so many disabled veterans, they'd been "forced"
by the circumstances to adapt their society to the needs of the disabled.
Granted, many things are not accessible, but I think part of that is because
of their ancient nature.  I mean, how could you make Masada (sorry, can't
remember the English name...) or archaeological digs accessible?  People
seemed very willing to help... almost too willing - in several cases, they
just grabbed my chair and carried it up the steps; I appreciate the
sentiment, but to me, my chair is part of my personal space/body.

I didn't really notice a pervasive attitude discriminating against people
with disabilities.  But, I'd assume that my experience as a tourist is very
different than living in the country... Also, the relatively brief period of
time I was there might have kept me from observing it.  At any rate, I'd be
very interested to hear about your experience.  This kind of cross-cultural
perspective on disability fascinates me... even more so in this case, since
Israel is close to my heart.

Also appreciate the various articles on protecting disabled Israelis in an
attack... very thought-provoking.  I don't really understand the problem,
though.  What would keep a person with any sort of disability from using a
standard issue gas mask?  I've seen them, and even used one (in a
demonstration situation).  I don't see why someone couldn't slip it over the
person's head, like assisting someone with oxygen on an airplane, and
supervise to make sure it wasn't removed until the emergency passed.  How
could a gas mask "endanger someone's life"? Can someone explain what I'm
missing here?

Sorry this is so long, but these issues really intrigue me.

~Joy~

Mag wrote:
"Israel treats their disabled like poop.  Segregation is standard over
there.  At least when I was there for 8 months."

Ha'Aretz wrote:
"Some 25,000 people in Israel suffer from developmental disabilities of
various degrees of severity. About 8,000 live in institutions; the remainder
live with their parents. Apart from a minority who have only mild
disabilities, members of this population are unable to wear gas masks. The
Home Front has been aware of this problem for years. The emergency civil
defense guidelines released two years ago by the Home Front and the Ministry
of Labor and Social Affairs state in bold letters: "Do not strap gas masks
on people with developmental disabilities, as they could endanger their
lives."