C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:26:24 -0500
sounds like me except for profession.

-----Original Message-----
From: Toddy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 5:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Depression and disability

  Re: Depression and disability

Hello everyone.
I have been reading the recent posts with great interest.  Hope it's not too
late
for me to
add my 2 cents.  A while back there was a thread regarding adults with CP
and
parents of
children with CP.  I wanted to jump in but was too chicken.  Maybe I can tie
the
two
together.

Are any of you familiar with the grieving progress?  As I understand it when
we
experience loss we go through a grieving process.  The stages are Denial &
Isolation,
Anger, Bargaining, Depression and finally Acceptance.  When a child is
disabled,
the
parent goes through the grieving process.  Later the PWD will go through the
process,
probably several times at various ages.  It is possible for a person be get
stuck
for years or
for a lifetime in any one of the stages.

As an advocate for the disabled and as a special ed. paraprofessional I have
come
across
PWDs and parents in all stages.  And it's not a one time deal, we cycle
through
again and
again.  It can be briefly.  You catch a glimpse of your reflection and think
"that
can't be
me".  A major change or loss can send you through the cycle again Big Time.
It
can take
months or even years.

This group has made me realize how very fortunate I have been.  I grew up in
loving
and accepting family.  My parents and grandparents did some remarkable
things for
me
when I was little.  I'll save that for another time.

I had a bout with depression when I hit fifty-something and noticed a
decided
physical
change.  Was getting slower, stiffer and feeling worn out.  I was convinced
it was

somehow related to aging CP but I could find little or no information.  On
the
bright side,
I found this group.

Toddy