C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:05:14 -0500
Three (perhaps four?) years ago, I discovered this mailing list. Shortly
thereafter I inadvertently crossed some of your invisible lines and was
promptly vilified by many of the (then) current posters. (There were a LOT
more in those days.)

Some of the people who reacted to my unwelcome level of personal honesty
eventually apologized, everyone made nice and the incident faded. But I
stopped posting here regularly and still do not. However I have rarely
responded to the odd item I found interesting or to the occasional call for
help that I felt I could contribute to.

I never would have even been reading the Shiavo coverage if it were not for
the discussion I was reading on this list. I find such stories to be
ludicrous tabloid journalism usually. I have no sympathy for any of the
players. (I have a legally watertight living will and ALL my family members
know my wishes.)

But because of what I was reading here, I began to scan some of the coverage
on the news sites. When I came across the laughable statement from Frist, I
thought (and still do) that it would be of interest to a freakin' CEREBRAL
PALSY mailing list. I threw in the comment about neocons ONLY because Frist
is running for president, and I personally (along with I'm sure a lot of
other folks here who are now NOT going to speak up) find that a bit scary.

Then along comes Ken Barber, Mailing List Regular, who takes umbrage with my
use of a term that he obviously doesn't understand. Not only does he take
offense at a non-existent slur, he adopts that "oh you are so funny" brand
of condescension that is the hallmark of the ill-informed. He then goes on
to immediately violate Godwin's Law, therefore shutting down any rational
debate. Ken: I've even communicated off list with you about trying to
diagnose computer problems in the past. Why on earth would you think I was
aiming anything at you? Until this, I had you pegged as a reasonably decent
guy who had been through some really rough times lately.

I had relatively little idea of where any of you even fell on the
liberal-conservative axis. I was generically addressing those of you who may
have the opportunity to vote against Frist in a primary. Why the hell would
I insult folks whom I trying to persuade?

Oh and by the way, to Bobby who came running to defend his buddy Ken: I am
quite well aware that "idiot" and "moron" were once "technical" terms for
describing the relative severity of mental retardation. However those usages
fell away YEARS ago, replaced by far more colloquial definitions. I would
think someone with a PhD. should have known that.

Y'all really need to get over yourselves.

Brent