C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:14:26 EDT
Dear list members:

Last year, I was deeply honored to be accepted by the list as a welcomed
member.  For a time, being part of C-PALSY was a bit like having trusted
family. However, as most of you know, the past year has forced me to turn my
attention to matters closer to geographical home.

Recent occurrences have forced me to realize that my time with C--PALSY
should come to a close, and I would like to take my leave of you with
peaceful spirit.  I assure you that In Caesar's world, disability rights is
foremost in my mind.  I will be pursuing this course for the remainder of my
life, but my time and energy will be better spent, I think, attending to
issues that affect my immediate geographical area.

Please do not forget that there are others who will come after you -- those
with disabilities who will be affected by your actions.  On their behalf, we
must strive to improve our relationship with our nondisabled neighbors.  We
must help them see that this is our world as well as it is theirs, and that
we are not here because of a mistake, or by their grace.

At this time in history, nearly everything you publicly do reflects on the
reputation of the disability community.  If you find a discriminatory
situation and file complaint, do not accept money as a buy off.  That makes
you look easy.  It cheapens not only your reputation, but that of the entire
disability community.  Insist instead that the wrong be righted.  Insist on
fairness for all people with disabilities, not just fairness for yourself.

Above all, do not accept crumbs.  The half loaf you take today is the portion
you will leave for the next disabled person.  If the battle comes to you, do
not run.  Do not leave it for the next person.  Be true to your high value as
a human.

I have advocated on behalf of children with disabilities, indeed I have
advocated for all children.  The reason that children with disabilities are
more important than you is because you are at the age of reasoning, and you
are responsible to make this world a better place for them.  They are at the
mercy of those adults who know what is wrong and who have adult voices.  Use
your voice.  Use your voice!

Being disabled is not the handicap, and society is not the handicap either.
Disabled people who accept crumbs and allow themselves to be patted on the
head are the handicap because they are the very people who will be used as an
example at every turn by those who would keep us down.  They are the targets,
and that is the hard truth.  Those crumbs will be passed onto children with
disabilities whose parents are fighting so hard now.  Do not sit down and do
nothing, while parents and others fight for their children.

I have enjoyed my time with you and wish each of you well in our collective
fight for true independence.  It is all I live for now, and all I have to
live for.  I will not see what I wish to see in my lifetime, but that is of
no consequence.  What is of consequence is whether I fight for the day when
we are regarded by the nondisabled community as valued members of society.

I will not answer personal e-mails, as I will be off line for a time.

Please take care,
Betty Alfred