C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:21:15 -0700

> That is not a workable definition of poverty. A
> miser who earns millions but
> spends very little is not "poor", although,
> according to your definition
> above, he would be. A millionaire who commuted by
> private jet to his palace
> in the carribean every weekend, and lived in a posh
> hotel during the week
> (rent free because he owns the hotel), would be poor
> (remember it carefully
> says that spending outside the USA is not counted).
>
> The only "fair" definition of poverty is one that
> looks at disposable wealth,
> not what you  spend.

actully this is definately workable and only those
with more money to spend would pay a tax. those in
poverty would pay nothing. the income tax we have now
does not consider "disposable wealth" it considers on
declared income and it is the rich that can hire
lawyers and tax accountants to get them out of
declarable income using the huge loopholes that
everybody likes to critisise. the poor are the ones
that can least afford the social security and medicade
taxes that cuts off when it reaches a high income
level. it is the poor that the gas tax bites the
highest % of their income. you think the rich cares if
gas goes to 8-9 dollars a gallon because of oil and/or
tax? no!!! but the poor would love to see the 75 cents
to a ollar a gallon gas tax go away.

it is a very fair definition and it does work to the
advantage of the poor.
> I actually would prefer Baluga Caviar to be tax
> free. If the millionaire is
> taxed on his income, and he chooses to eat caviar,
> he should be able to just
> like anyone else. Equally, if a tramp (who has also
> paid tax on his income)

the tramp after paying his income tax could not afford
caviar, but if the tramp or the millionaire wanted to
spend the 1 dollar of the prebated amount, then they
both can have it. after all it is suppoesedly a free
country.

> sets aside $1 a month into his "Baluga" fund, it
> would patently not be fair
> for him to pay the same tax as the millionaire.
>
> > this has been studied extensively by harvard
> > ecconomics depatment to get all the nuances that
> needs
> > to be addressed. it is actually one of the most
> > studied bill ever to be introduced in the U.S.
> > Congress.
>
> You're tarnishing the name of Harvard Academics
> here,
tarnished or not this plan came from 20 harvard
ecconomic profs. the limey probably needs to study the
plan as well as the harvard accadems did. -:)

if a thicko limey like
> me can see this idea has more holes than a swiss
> cheese after a swarm of
> mice, it doesn't reflect well on a group of wealthy
> professors.
>
> Apart from the arguments in my previous email on
> "prebate" (which you haven't
> answered yet) think about these things.
>
> Capital Leakage (have part of your income paid into
> an offshore account).

  do you not think the rich have income flowing
through off shore accounts now? how many 2nd hand
limos do you think bill gates would buy just to save
the tax?
  however lower income folk like me do buy used cars.
i bought a pontiac last week from an individual to
save the state tax. actually this arguement you put up
is another one for helping the poor, not helping the
rich as you thought.

> Buy Foreign (use your offshore account and the
> internet).
> Buy "2nd Hand - no tax" (there'll be loads of 3000
> mile ex lease rentals on
> sale).
>
> Cheers
>
> Deri
cheers
ken.

> > --- Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > There are some problems with "Prebate":-
> > >
> > > It does not seem to take account for extended
> > > families (grand parents,
> > > dependant adults, etc,).
> > >
> > > It does not take into account actual costs of
> the
> > > family (we all know that
> > > being disabled involves extra spending which a
> > > non-disabled family do not
> > > have to bear).
> > >
> > > Does not take into account debt burden on a
> family
> > > when calculating prebate.
> > >
> > > If I lived with my sister (me zero income,
> sister
> > > $60000 pa) the "household"
> > > would receive a prebate based on my sister's
> income
> > > despite her not giving me
> > > a cent, so I would be significantly below the
> > > poverty line.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Deri
> > >
> > > -----------------------
> > >
> > > To change your mail settings or leave the
> C-PALSY
> > > list, go here:

> >_________ Bored stiff? Loosen up...
> > Download and play hundreds of games for free on
> Yahoo! Games.
> > http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

> list, go here:

> list, go here:

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html