C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:21:19 -0500
Since it's so quiet on the list, figured I'll forward you a little
something.  Read if you wish.

Beth t. the OT

Subject: [tech-sis] European Year of People with Disabilities

Dear Colleague,

The start of the European Year of People with Disabilities is an opportunity
for us to bring you more information on the value of the Design for All
 website. At www.design-for-all.info you will find the work of DASDA,the EU
programme Dissemination Action Supporting Design for All. We communicated
with you last year about this project and we would now like to formalize our
offer of assistance in any work you may carry out that relates to inclusive
design.

DASDA has collected a library of information and references that allows
Design for All to be investigated and understood by those whose
actions can help its adoption as a design culture across Europe. It also has
a series of tools for use by commercial organisations to help them see the
benefit of  inclusive design and work towards making it their own approach
to creating products and services. We see these as important items for your
use when speaking to people who can be influenced to consider the benefits
of Design for All.

The DASDA team will spend the next six months talking to businesses,
distributing information and feeding the media with a constant stream of
information on Design for All. Our aim is to increase awareness and
stimulate interest. You have the opportunity to help us take this process
further.

The materials on the website offer you an excellent context from which to
speak to your colleagues, your contacts and the people you want to inform
and influence. Your own knowledge of this subject - and its
important  contribution to social inclusion, the development of the
Information Society and ensuring a profitable IT industry in Europe - can be
assisted by
the information and tools available. Use of the site will allow you to speak
from a position of relative expertise when you have the opportunity to
inform others.

Could we ask you to take a look at the site and to examine that information
and tools you find on there. We will soon be adding a guide that will be of
value in helping DASDA's partners and friends to make good use of the site -
we will let you know as soon as that is ready. If you are working on Design
for All in a way that should be reflected on the site, please let us
know  and we will try to publicise your efforts. Alternatively, if there is
any specific way in which we can help you in your efforts, be sure to
contact
us. While we cannot guarantee that we can do everything asked of us, we will
do our best to assist.

This year is an important one for people with disabilities; promotion of
Design for All is an excellent way of supporting the many activities that
will be taking place. We look forward to working with you over the coming
months and thank you for your continued interest.
 DASDA is a not-for-profit initiative of the European Union, briefed to
promote an awareness of Design for All - also known as inclusive or
universal design.

Marian K. Scheinholtz, MS, OTR/L
Practice Associate
American Occupational Therapy Association
4720 Montgomery Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814

(301) 652-2682
Fax (301) 652-7711