C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:24:24 EDT
Two comments on this thread:

1) CP is simply a label diagnosis referring to some form of movement
difficulty resulting from some kind of brain damage sustained before age 2.
As such, any child having had a stroke in utero or in the post-natal period
would qualify (in fact this is the cause of most hemi-plegia) - as would a
child brain damaged from encephalitis, meningitis, near-drowning,
vaccine-reaction, etc. Not just the more typical brain hemmorrage (like my
Anthony) or hypoxia (like my Joseph). The cause of the brain damage is
largely irrelevant unless there is a diagnosed metabollic or genetic
condition. Trish is correct. I, too, can tell if a child's tone is off and
when someone has a "CP" gait. I saw nothing offensive in her posts. And there
is a LOT of denial out there. I can't tell you how often, even today, that
parents are NEVER actually given an official diagnosis. So many parents are
reading and researching and going to their docs to say "I think my child has
CP." Even when this happens it is not uncommon for their concerns to be
dismissed initially.

2) As a mother I am VERY interested in learning about aging with CP. I want
to know as much as I can so I can help my son as he lives his life. That's
why I joined this list. I can get all kinds of info about current treatments
/ therapies / experiences of other children with CP elsewhere. I come here to
find out what my son's life will be like later on so I can help prepare him.
I am hoping that by developing this new website and actively pursuing
knowledge relevant to CP and the aging process that I can learn something new
and maybe help Anthony avoid the problems with pain and so on that so many of
you are suffering with later on in life. Maybe there are certain therapies or
surgical procedures that backfire down the road and so should be avoided or
activities which should be avoided (or embraced) to minimize damage to
joints, etc.

I think the survey and the new website are terrific ideas and I wish you good
luck with both endeavors.

My $.04 CDN, FWIW.

Yvonne
Mommy to 5 year-old triplets: Anthony (CP) and Robert
and our angel, Joseph (CP+...) {14/04/97 - 31/12/98}
Ottawa, Canada