C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:16:54 EDT
http://www.suntimes.com/output/otherviews/cst-nws-sterile21.html

Should Kirsten Johnson be allowed to have kids?
August 21, 2005

BY KATIE WATSON

Vera Howse thinks her 26-year-old niece  Kirsten Johnson wouldn't be a
good mother, so she's asked the Cook County  Probate Court for
authorization to sterilize her niece against her will.  Johnson is
cognitively impaired, and her aunt is her legal guardian.

This case has broad significance because Illinois, unlike other states,
hasn't established when a court should grant a guardian authority to have
a ward permanently sterilized.

Most cases like this are resolved in  the doctor's office. Physicians at
one Chicago hospital system estimate that  it receives one to three
guardian requests to sterilize their wards per  month, usually from
parents of disabled adolescents. After counseling, most  eventually opt
instead for long-term reversible birth control.

But  in this case Howse continued to insist that her niece be sterilized
permanently, and her internist and psychiatrist did not object. Johnson
countered by contacting Equip for Equality, a disability rights
organization that represented her in court. Johnson, who lives with her
aunt in south suburban Matteson, is sexually active. She has always used
birth control (her aunt currently helps her use the patch), but says if
she were to marry a man who could help her parent someday, she would like
to have a child.

Historically speaking, Johnson's situation isn't  unique. State programs
forced up to 70,000 disabled and poor Americans to be  sterilized between
the early 1900s and the 1970s. These programs, now ended,  were driven by
a belief that social eugenics would both "improve the gene  pool" and save
the taxpayers money by reducing the number of children born  to parents
who couldn't support them.

The courts were no help. In  Virginia, for example, the Lynchburg Colony
for the Epileptic and Feeble  Minded, which sterilized 8,300 people from
1927 to 1972, was a model of  empty due process. The disabled and poor
teens forcibly brought to the  institution were given a perfunctory
hearing, after which a judge would  always find it was in the "best
interests" of the patient and society that  the ward not reproduce. In
1927 the Supreme Court upheld this Virginia  statute in the case of Buck
v. Bell.

Six years later, the Nazi  regime in Germany modeled its new eugenic
program on U.S. sterilization  statutes. They began with the sterilization
of disabled individuals in 1933,  later executing thousands of persons
with disabilities and millions from  other "unfit" populations.

Whose 'best interest'?

But things are  different now, right? States have formally apologized for
their eugenics  programs, the Americans with Disabilities Act ushered in a
new era of  accommodation and respect, and the disabled person's right to
medical  self-determination is implemented by his or her guardian, who is
usually a  family member concerned with the disabled person's "best
interests." At  least that's the standard Illinois law tells guardians to
use.

The  problem is that childbearing is one decision in which what's best for
the  ward and what's best for the guardian might conflict. While some
cognitively  impaired people might enjoy parenthood, their guardians may
fear a new baby  will become the guardian's responsibility. Or, in the
case of congenital  disability, guardians may fear the ward will "pass on
their genes" and bear  another disabled family member. Ironically, these
criteria -- resources and  eugenics -- are exactly those used by the
now-discredited state programs.

What standard should Illinois courts use to resolve cases like  Johnson's?
To be blunt, families give up a lot to care for a cognitively  impaired
child. Is it so wrong to ask the disabled individual to give up the  right
have children in return? Might this be a fair exchange?

Absolutely not. The law says no person's reproductive options are
contingent on the needs, desires or judgment of another. Why should
persons with disabilities be the exception? No parent is allowed to
control whether their child bears a grandchild, even when they're a minor
(legally "incompetent").

Wives can give birth and have abortions  against their husband's wishes.
And the Supreme Court has ruled that  criminals can't be sterilized as
part of their punishment.

Reproductive freedom holds such a cherished place in our society that
even the welfare of the potential child does not trump it. The state
cannot prevent an abusive, drug-addicted person who has lost eight
children to foster care from procreating.

But Judge James Riley sees  this case differently. In his Aug. 11
decision, he ruled that it is in  Kirsten's best interest 'to have a
permanent form of birth control. Why?  Because several people testified
that she would not be able to care for a  child alone.

This sounds like a "parental litmus test" to me. I'm not  applauding
irresponsible parenting, but making people with disabilities the  only
group in America that must prove they'll be good parents before they  are
"allowed" to reproduce is intolerable discrimination.

The second  reason Riley gave for his decision was Johnson "would suffer
irreparable  psychological damage" if she had a child and the child was
removed from her  because of her inability to care for that child.

She can read, not drive

No one, including Johnson, disputes she'd need training and support to  be
a good parent. She's high functioning in some ways, but her IQ is in the
borderline to low average range. She can dress, bathe and feed herself,
but she can't drive. She can read, but she can't handle financial
affairs, and she needs some assistance with household chores. But
information and services for disabled parents is available at places like
Community Support Services. Parenting support for the cognitively
impaired is like ramps for those in wheelchairs -- small modifications
that ensure the only limitations are those caused by disability itself,
not our society's response to it.

This case highlights the deep  chasm that separates the able-bodied from
the disabled. To prove it, try a  thought experiment: Who in this essay
have you identified with so far? I  know I imagine myself in the position
of the well-intentioned, overwhelmed  guardian. If I stretch, I can
imagine what it might be like to be raised by  a cognitively impaired
mother. Both sound hard.

But it's telling  that I don't imagine myself in the shoes of the disabled
person. It's also  foolish. Johnson's brain was injured in childhood when
she was hit by a car,  something that could happen to me tomorrow. And if
it did, I'd want to live  my life to its fullest. I'd want "the dignity of
risk" -- the option to try  difficult things and live with the
consequences -- and the support I'd need  to maximize my potential and
happiness. That's my "living will" for the  social care I'd want after an
accident.

Johnson's case isn't over.  Riley has ordered that Johnson be evaluated to
see whether she's a medical  candidate for Implanon (the new Norplant) or
an IUD that last 5 or 10 years,  and he deferred to January his final
ruling on Ms. Howse's petition for  tubal ligation.

In this precedent-setting case, Riley says he's  following a Pennsylvania
court that adopted a "discretionary best interest  standard." But his
application of the specified best interest criteria is  misguided and
incomplete, because the standard the Pennsylvania court used  is intended
to focus the court on what's best for the person with a  disability, and
away from the best interest of the guardian, family, society  or potential
children.

Persons with disabilities in Illinois deserve  better than this. Tubal
ligation is a safe, effective form of contraception  many women --
including some with cognitive deficits -- freely choose. But  allowing
guardians to permanently block their ward's reproductive desires  with the
muscle of the courts and the knife of medicine is a discriminatory  step
back toward a shameful era to which we should never return.

Katie Watson is lawyer and a lecturer in the Medical Humanities and
Bioethics Program of Northwestern University's Feinberg School of
Medicine.

Sun-Times Company

# #  #

--

DISCLAIMER: The JFA Listserv is designed to share
information of interest to people with disabilities and

JOIN  AAPD! There's strength in numbers! Be a part of a
national coalition of  people with disabilities and join
AAPD today.  http://www.aapd-dc.org

JFA ARCHIVES. All JFA postings from 1995 to  present are
available at:
http://www.aapd-dc.org/JFA/JFAabout.html

NOTE: Some Internet Providers (including AOL, Earthlink and
Juno) may see JFA postings as spam because of the large
volume of JFA  mail recipients and fail to deliver the
posting. If this happens, the JFA  system may automatically
unsubscribe some email addresses. Should you stop  receiving
JFA Alerts, please subscribe to JFA again as per the
instructions at
http://www.aapd-dc.org/JFA/JFAsubscribing.html
You may also need to contact  your service provider to find
out how to prevent JFA postings from being  recognized as
spam.

PLEASE EMPTY YOUR EMAIL INBOX REGULARLY. JFA  automatically
deletes subscribers that are over their message quota.  How
If you stop using an account please unsubscribe that old
account.

With hundreds of inbound emails and thousands of outbound
emails  daily, JFA can not respond to every message.

We thank you for your  understanding and continued
outstanding advocacy!

Fred Fay,  Moderator

JUSTICE FOR ALL -- A Service of the
American Association of  People with Disabilities
http://www.aapd-dc.org/JFA/JFAabout.html