C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 01:42:40 EDT
>Who would in good faith bring their
> properties into compliance if only they were alerted to the law's
> requirements.
Excuse me, Mr. Hyde,
but the businesses have had TEN years to make their places accessible. The
ADA is our civil rights law. Nobody is saying that we should repeal the civil
rights act of 1965. Why must people with disabilities be disallowed our day
in court just because a few greedy lawyers are making money?

It is my understanding that Mr. Eastwood was indeed notified by letter, and
given 90 days before the second letter was sent to him. So why is he crying
wolf?  He just doesn't want to make his establishment accessible, that's why!
 IRR's at times like these that I almost wish people like Mr. Eastwood would
need to be in a wheelchair for a month. There is nothing like walking or
rolling in another man's shoes to garner an understanding of what we go
through in our particular path. Nothing like it for garnering empathy.

Tamar Raine,
Oakland CA.