C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:11:47 -0500
Back in 1989, when Hurricane Hugo came up this way from Charlotte and the SC
coast (yes, it came this far inland!) there were several tornados after the
hurricane passed through, due to unstable weather conditions. Did almost as
much damage as the hurricane itself did.

Another time, September, 1978, I think it was, I was up in near Linville Gorge
on a hike with a Sierra Club group.  Came back down from the mountain to
discover tornados had swept through the area, uprooting many of the old oak
trees around our oldest high school as well as damaging a lot of homes.  We
had another tornado touch down in Clemmons 10 miles from here, which did a lot
of damage last year.  NC is right smack in the midst of the tornado belt as
well as being a prime hurricane target on the coast.

Kat