C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:49:57 +1200
Hi Joy,

I live in New Zealand, so I can only offer some thoughts about having carers provided through an
agency.

With a good agency, it works really well.  If a carer (NZ speak for Personal Care Assistant) is
sick or away then the agency is responsible for arranging replacements.  I work 5 days a week, and
need help 7 days, so I need a reliable service, particularly now I need help showering and
dressing.  The agency manages a bunch of carers, so within limits they can mix and match staff to
find people that you feel comfortable with and can do the job.  Care workers are scarce, so you
have to be a bit tolerant.

With a bad agency, things really suck.  I had to leave one agency because of unreliable service,
and inappropriate carers being sent in.

I don't know if I could cope with finding and hiring carers myself.

After 4 years living on my own I couldn't go back to living with my parent's, and wouldn't want
them providing the level of care that I need now anyway.

Good luck!  I know that good help can be hard to find <grin>
Cheers,

Jeremy

On 2 Aug 2005 at 17:14, Joy Welan wrote about Another Question about Personal Ass:

> Does anyone have ideas about ways that I may be able to find
> assistants?  I've never worked with agencies or government
> organizations before, but I'm not too proud to start if necessary.  I
> just don't know where to begin.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> ~Joy~

Jeremy Persen, Nelson, New Zealand