C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:29:23 -0400

  _____

From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - August 2009

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/cerebrumHeader.gif>

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science

August 2009

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

Dear Cerebrum Reader,
A new article and a new book review have been added to Cerebrum's 2009 Web
edition.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,ekna,d6je,dlq4,m3a0>

Why
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,ekna,d6je,dlq4,m3a0> So
Many Seniors Get Swindled: Brain Anomalies and Poor Decision-making in Older
Adults

By Natalie L. Denburg, Ph.D., and Lyndsay Harshman, B.S.

Explanations for why seniors so easily fall prey to cons do not adequately
explain many instances of the phenomena. The problem may not be normal aging
or even dementia or Alzheimer's, argues Natalie Denberg, Ph.D., but an
abnormality in a part of the brain involved in emotional processing.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,7rwo,8d1d,dlq4,m3a0>

BOOK REVIEW

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/spacer.gif>

How
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,7rwo,8d1d,dlq4,m3a0> We
Decide

By Jonah Lehrer

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing, Inc., 2009

Reviewed by Scott A. Huettel, Ph.D.

Decision-making is a complex interaction between emotional and rational
processes in the brain. In his book How We Decide, Jonah Lehrer does a great
job of telling a story of how and why we make decisions the way we do, but
in his efforts to make the information accessible, he may oversimplify too
much, writes Dr. Scott A. Huettel.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

Also
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0> in
Cerebrum

We hope you enjoyed our recent article "Video
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,fsyx,imhe,dlq4,m3a0>
Games Affect the Brain, for Better and Worse," by Douglas A. Gentile, Ph.D.
This and all 1998-2009 articles and book features are available in our
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,5weu,9x56,dlq4,m3a0>
Web edition archive.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

Available
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,gwl,2fo0,dlq4,m3a0> Now

Cerebrum 2009: Emerging Ideas in Brain Science includes the hot topics
covered in Cerebrum's Web edition in 2008. The book includes a foreword by
Thomas R. Insel, M.D., director of the National Institute of Mental Health,
as well as a "classic" article on neuroeconomics from Cerebrum's print
archives. Read more here.
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,fgh1,hx2h,dlq4,m3a0>

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

 Dana Press
<http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/logo_danapress.gif>
Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind
A Dana Press publication 	[log in to unmask]
202-408-8800
http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0>

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>
  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/btn_email.gif> Update
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,8ile,9r0g,dlq4,m3a0>
Your Profile, Subscriptions, or E-mail Address
Unsubscribe instantly by sending an e-mail to:
Privacy
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hnsa,594,m8xt,atco,dlq4,m3a0>
Policy

Cerebrum | 900 15th St., NW | Washington | DC | 20005

<http://email.dana.org/images/mlopen_post.html?rtr=on&siteid=509034&mid=8239
78&mlid=6808&uid=9af3cfba18>