C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 02:12:00 EST
There was only one time when my Dad spanked me, and because of the subsequent
event, I'm glad it happened.

My second grade teacher, Mrs. Wingfield, accused me of stealing money which I
had not stolen.  I had more than my lunch money on my person, and I think
another child's lunch money was missing.  I'm not sure if these details are
exactly correct but it was something like that.  When my Dad picked me up
from school, Mrs. W. told him I had stolen the money, and he took me in the
cloakroom and spanked me.  Later, after we were home, she called on the phone
and told my Dad that the money had been recovered, thus I was exonerated.  I
was in bed by that time, and my Dad came in the room to tell me that my
teacher had called.  In the process of apologizing to me, he started crying.
That was the only time he spanked me, and he never spanked me after that.  I
found out later from an Aunt by marriage that my paternal grandfather had
been physically abusive of his five boys, including my Dad.

Now, I think it's very cool that my Dad could admit that he was wrong, and
also cry without feeling that his manhood was threatened.  I saw him cry
several times over the years, for one reason or another, and I don't ever
remember him being too proud to admit when he was wrong about something.

I think he was a great Dad, so I'm sharing this with you.

Betty

<<    The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly opposes striking =