C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:32:38 -0400
Michael Collis wrote:

> Every person born on this planet has a disability, or something which
> limits them,  For most, society (not self) is the biggest disabler, in
> that stairs get in the way, curb cuts are non-existent, and attitudes
> are patronizing...  Seen in this way, the healing stories of the Bible
> (both Old and New Testaments)  strike a subversive blow for people with
> disabilities    G-d is saying that society is wrong to place value on
> physical attributes.  Because society does, He will heal the outcasts,
> not society.
>
> If you did not have the pain, Ken, would you mind the C.P?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but seeing as how I started the whole
thing...

I'm not even in debilitating pain (yet). The daily (mostly spasm-related)
pain I experience can still be handled with OTC anti-inflammatories (albeit
at rather higher dosages than the FDA recommends).

But I still "mind" having cp. I mind the hell out of it every day of my
life.

Having cp means I have to fight with the FAA every time my medical
certificate is up for renewal.

Having cp meant that I couldn't major in music in college. Having cp means
that I can't play the piano in real time. It means that I can't play
stringed or woodwind instruments at all. It means that I have to work five
times harder to play the brass instruments I do play than any AB.

Having cp means I will age faster physically and probably not live as long
as a comparable AB.

Yes, I have extremely mild cp. And I would become AB in a heartbeat if such
a thing were possible.

I am sorry. I flatly cannot comprehend the people in the disability rights
movement who are so wrapped up in identifying as disabled they wouldn't want
to be AB. And, not to be impolite, but please don't waste any time or
bandwidth trying to convince or convert me, because frankly I think that
viewpoint is more than a little insane.

Respectfully,

Brent Edwards