C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:04:44 -0600
Hi everyone:

Just thought I'd keep you all posted on my moving situation and my 504 request.

As many of you may (or may not) know, I am being relocated to a new
apartment building by the local housing authority here in Denver as
they will soon be remodeling the one I'm in now.  This is expected to
happen with the signing of the new lease possibly being on Monday and
my moving out of this apartment after the election

I say after the election because I've been appointed to work as an
Election Judge for the upcoming election and the vote center I'm
assigned to work at is just a block from here.  if I were to move
BEFORE the election, I would have to commute BY SCOOTER (It's too big
to fit on the bus) in cold and (potentially) snowy weather to and from
the vote center and my new apartment (And getting a new assignment at
this juncture is NOT an option).

I'd also run the risk of getting a flat tire on some of the streets &
sidewalks (Namely the stretch of sidewalk from Cherokee St. to Pecos
St. for those in the know) I'd have to travel on to get there as they
are not well kept by the city.  :(

I've had to replace BOTH of my front wheels due to flats incurred as a
result of past visits to my mom's apartment (she already lives in the
building I'll be moving to) and don't want to take that chance again
at THE WORST possible time for me personally just to work an election.

Ordinarily, I'd just walk away from the Judge's position altogether in
lieu of moving, but it pays me an extra $100 which I can always use.
This is ON TOP OF the $550 I'll get as a relocation allowance from the
local housing authority just for the trouble of moving as well as my
usual Social Security checks that I normally get.  And, like i said
earlier, the assignment is only a block away from where I currently
live, so unless it's an utter complete blizzard outside, I should have
NO problem at all getting to my assigned post for work on November 7.
:)

As for my 504 Request with a roll-in shower (That BTW is a Reasonable
Accomondation Request to those whom I'm sending Cc's of this message
to), there's no real significant progress there.  But when I went to
see the apartment I'd be moving into, I was told by the manager that
there are NO 504s in the highrise itself, but there are some in the
cottages, which are ground level units that are seperate of the
building itself.  Having seen them from the outside, I might as well
move into a unit in the projects as both would be just as unsafe
(Especially at this time of year when the flakes are flying).

The reason I was told there are no roll-in showers and that it would
be nearly impossible in the highrise itself is because of the age of
the building and that removing the tub would negatively impact my
neighbors above and below me (Which I thought was nothing but
baloney).

If my 504 is rejected, I may have to resort to the appeals and
(potentially) legal process to get it.  Hopefully it won't go that
far, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Unfortunately, due to the timing of things, I'm now faced with having
to move out first and settle the issue of the 504 later.  I say this
because things are now at a point where the local housing authority
will start moving people into the projects (which are as rogue as any
urban housing projects in America are) just to get us out of this
building (There's asbestos in the building which be must be removed).

So there you have it folks.  The latest on my situation.  I'm just
hoping for the best.

Cheers :D

--
Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado
AS MY WACKED OUT WORLD TURNS - http://aspatsworldturns.blogspot.com/
PAT'S REAL DEAL BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.blogspot.com/
PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS BLOG -
http://patshealthmedicalwondersblog.blogspot.com/
PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
PAT'S PODCAST - http://www.freewebtown.com/patspodcast2/
PAT'S VIDEOCAST - http://www.freewebtown.com/patsvideocast/
DUMBASS IDIOTS VIDEO BLOG - http://dumbassidiots.blogspot.com/