C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:31:33 -0400
I know I don't have to tell you this.  But, it means don't make walking the
only overriding goal.  Being upright, proper exercise and general
independent movement are important for any one with or without a disability.
Prepare the mind, develop independence, make sure he learns to direct his
own care, that he can read and communicate, socialize, has chores to
complete, says his prayers, etc.
Look for balance in life.  Does he become overly exhausted walking all day?
Pushing a wheelchair?  It is helpful if he is able to get in and out of the
chair independently to sit in a regular chair, use the toilet, in and out of
bed, on the ground relaxing or wrestling with a bud.
The problem is with adults, life interfers, payment sources for therapy
often dry up and self discipline often diminishes (like the rest of us).

Beth T.