C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:55:57 EST
Hi Betty and All-

I really do want to re-enforce the point that I think Betty and I might be
attempting to make here--

If you go to a psycholoigist or psycitrist for counsling ect..make shure that
thay have a basic knologe/acceptence of your goles and see them in a
supportive light.  This can make a diffrence in the binifits you recive from
any councling.  But like with the psychitrist and psycoligist that I saw both
saw my activeites in the disabled community in compleetly oppisit lights from
one another and you must take that kind of thing into account in finding a
professional to work with you so that you can accomplish things and get on
with living.  CP will always play some part in your life if you have it and
the person trying to help you must understand this.

And to also give some aditional thoughts on this topic...

I think at least for me alot of factors go into depression and I think that
is true of alot of people.  It may be triggered by one piticular event
topping off alot of other events and pushing you to the braking point.  The
important thing is to be able to relize if you need help (and I know that
this can be hard in some stages of depression) and get that help--what ever
it is if you need it.

All of us who have been sharing our experiencs come from very diffrent
backgrounds and have very diffrent causes for individule cases of depression,
some of us just became over loaded because too much was happening in our
lives at once (me); and others of us were abused, and still others of us have
had difficulty getting over what happend in childhood, and others have other
issues as well.  For some of us childhood was afffule, and for some of us
disability was not as big of an issue as it has become for us as teens and on
into adulthood---the latter was the case with me, when I was a kid I went to
PE, went to sleep overs, girls scouts--I have the Silver Award--, went to
scocer camp, swim lessons, piano lessons, ect.  I could never keep up that
schedule now!  Some of us are fantastic at dealing with disabilities but pile
on a heeping of other messy and onging issues and we crack.

One thing that I have learned is that you never know what, when and how much
life is going to through at us, and we all have our limits.

You learn to deal with what you have and move on with life and adapt to what
ever comes your way as best you can.  But that dosen;t meen that you won't be
pushed over the edge by something at some point.  And if you do get pushed
over the edge at some point than you can eventually find your way back--at
least I did.

Yours,
Anee
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/CPIC.html

In a message dated 11/9/1999 3:47:22 PM Central Standard Time,