C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:10:12 -0700
--- "BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

. When a new born is sus=
> pected of having cerebral palsy, physicians will
> often paint a “worse c=
> ase scenario” for the traumatized parents by
> telling them their newborn=
>  “bundle of joy” most likely will not be
> able to walk, to talk, wi=
> ll be retarded, blind or deaf or both. This way the
> physician’s ass is=20=
> covered. And that is what happened to my parents
> when I was born.

This was interesting timing Bobby. This morning Alex
asked me the question I really didn't want to
answer...Mom why can't I walk. I told him he was born
to soon and too little and was very sick when he was
born and has a boo boo on his brain that causes him to
have trouble walking. I told him the doctors told me
he wouldn't be able to walk, talk, eat or think by
himself. This kid who uses a walker, braces, has low
vision and has had a feeding tube for almost 1/2 his
life etc., etc., looked me straight in the eye and
said
"I sure fooled the doctors, haven't I Mom?"
Joanne