C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 21:59:56 +0100
On Thursday 22 May 2008 19:07:32 ken barber wrote:
> Okay this is something serious. If you buy gas for a grill take a look.
>
> I did snopes it and there is something to look at  and be a concern. Better
> safe than sorry.
>

> Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart,
> Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling
> them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for by the
> way). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store.
> They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy.
> Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the
> tank.
>
> It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our
> grills, etc. You should inspect the propane tank for any blue or
> greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to
> purchase that one."
> Check
> out the following website for more details. They also have pictures you
> can show.
>
> http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

The reference to Meth Cooks is irrelevant, just do not pick propane tanks with
corroded brass valves. Ammonia corrodes copper and brass into a blue-green
salt. The steel body of propane canisters is unaffected by ammonia. However
brass "corrodes" in normal circumstances to a blue/green "patina", so I
assume its wise to look for a "salty" deposit near the join to the canister
(probably like you see on the brass terminal of a leaked battery).

Cheers

Deri