C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:19:12 -0500
Hi Bob,

            I think this may be a possibility and I had it noted for a
future bring up along with a couple of other list admin things I was going
to mention. I guess now is a goodtime.

Can we take a poll about this?  Are their others who object to this. Please
give me some feed back and we can determine what to do from there.

Recently there have been two ongoing topics of discussion on the SJUowners
list - the first was on webclipping.com - and the major push they were
making by joining everyone lists and then I guess collecting info to sell
things - As soon as I saw one join the list - I instantly deleted - I need
to go back check to make sure they sneak on - also Randy - of OUR-KIDS  and
ummmm is I think the administrator for SJUowner list - had some coding to
add to keep this from happening - Deri - did you add it?  - or do we need to
discuss this.

Also - recently something called shoutmail has discussed - I wanted to
discuss with Betty and Deri ( Dan - I am sorry - you chime in too! I know
you are busy - I am not overlooking you!!) I am posting what Randy posted to
OUR-KIDS  here. I would like to take the same stance.

""Re:      [OK] ADMIN: Shoutmail and other voice services

The Shoutmail message notifications broke new ground in how users interact
with Email lists.  A couple of other services are just starting to come up
with the same kind of services, I think Yahoo is one of them.

I consulted with numerous other list owners regarding this issue, though
this list is among the first to get such messages, so there isn't much
precedence set yet.

The reason for this message is to formulate policy on how users interact
with the Our-Kids Email list and set the precedence.

I've decided to not allow my lists to distribute shoutmail or other media
message notifications for the following reasons:

The message as sent to the list does not reflect a subject and the content
of the message is nothing more than a big notification as to how to go about
retrieving the message.

The notification in and of itself does not constitute anything meaningful to
the list, membership or archives and since historically an email list has
been a means of distributing written communications, here exist no clear way
to determine the subject matter and relevance of such notifications.

On a busy list, particularly covering as broad a spectrum of topics as we
do, many people don't have the time to read each message verbatim as it is,
and they have subjects to help them.  Let alone weed through shoutmail
messages for pertinent messages of interest.  Personally, I'd use a
telephone and conference calling if I was interested in communicating that
way.

In my opinion, it is the same as if everybody decided they wanted to use
Blue Mountain Greeting cards to communicate with and thereby have Blue
Mountain sending their "You have a Greeting Card!" message to the list for
everybody to go and pick up, read and reply to.

I am told that shoutmail does have an option to send a text message.
I guess now I'll it's time to rework the policies to reflect "written" only
communication.

The reason for sending this post now is just to get it on record.

Randy, Our-Kids Administrator""

        I respect Randy's list admistrations skills and smarts. While I am
fledgling at this - I look to Randy for help and guidence - Thanks for being
patient with me - Randy!!

                               Brightest Blessings
                                       Trisha