C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:06:52 EST
Hi All-

I recently did a disability awarness presentation for a group of 1st - 5th
graders that my friend Anne teaches.  She asked me to do this because one of
the students in her class has spina bifida and a low self esteem problem and
she thought it would help him to see someone who was disabled and out in the
world doing things. I have done these type of education days/presentations
before but always with older kids.  This was my first time with the young
ones.

 It was a very positive experience.  Of course the first questions out of
there mouths after Anne introduced me were 1) why do you walk funny and 2)
why can't you stay still?  And they were asking my friend this and not me.
Then my friend said "why don't you ask her"  so they did.

I preceded to explain that I had what was called Cerebral Palsy and that
means that part of my brain has been damaged and dosn't work anymore.  I
explained to them that having a disability is not like being sick (which was
one of there questions) it was more along the lines of having to were glasses
or having a cast for a broken bone (something they can relate to).  Some of
them had grandparents who were disabled and we talked about that.  I told
them about some of the famous people who have disablities.

I also told the kids that I might not be able to do a lot of spots--like I
can't jump or run-- but I like to do alot of the same things that they like
to do.  I told them that I like to eat french fries and watch movies and surf
the internet and collect bennie babies.  One of them asked me if I was in to
Pokemon and I replied "No, I have yet to figure those guys out whould someone
like to explain them to me?" and then we all laughed.

I told them about the wheechair sports leges and about adapted sking and
about the diffrence in the Paraolympics and the Special Olympics
.
 I also explained to them about sometimes if you ask a disabled person "Can I
help you with that" that sometimes the disabled person will say "no" and that
this was because the person wanted to be indipendent and could do that
activiety for themselves and that was impotrant to them.  I also told them
that if a person needs help they will ask.  But I then told them that it is
ok to ask a person if they need help...but just respect them if/when they say
no.

I also told them that it was ok to ask people questions about disability as
long as they are polite about it--which I think it is.

We also did a simulation activity were they had to hold a pice of paper on
the foreheads and write there name.  (This was only a 20 minute presentation
so I didn't do anything more involved.) But this seemed to oppen there eyes a
bit.  I explaied that it took me 2 to 3 times what it would take them to
finish my school work.

I also showed them a sample of one of my large print textbooks as I was
explaining about visual disabilities.

All and all I think the whole thing went very well and a lot was gained on
both sides from the exchange.  I think it is very important to do stuff like
this.

Yours,
Anee
Webmaster of CPIC
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/

In a message dated 12/6/1999 9:58:07 PM Central Standard Time,